How to... write a CV

Messaggioda Zero87 » 18/10/2013, 10:28

Hello forumists (I don't know if forumist is a correct word or I create it ad hoc...).

This is the first "how to" guide, if I don't found a job, I'll have a little spare time, so I'll make other guide (the next will be "how to write an english letter", but I need some help to do that).
If you like this threads and you are a mod/admin... you'd put it in evidence in order to give some useful information to forum users.

So, I go on.

Firstly, I report this webite
http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/it/do ... ulum-vitae

In this, we can download templates and instructions to make us a correct CV.

In this thread I want to suggest some useful phrases about (study) qualification and I thank those who give me a hand to expand the content of this (and I thank who tells me the mistakes I made).

So I write the terms I know and I invite others to do the same.

_______

Laurea Triennale in ...
$\rArr$ Bachelor's degree in ...
For example
Bachelor's degree in Mathematics (= laurea triennale in matematica).

Laurea Magistrale in ...
$\rArr$ Master's degree in ...
For example
Master's degree in Mathematics (= laurea magistrale in matematica)

Maturità
$\rArr$ High school graduation

Diploma in conservatorio di ...
$\rArr$ Conservatory graduate in ... performance.
(Nota: in Inghilterra i conservatori non esistono, così tradotto letteralmente sarebbe "laurea in conservatorio di ...").

I look forward answers by users.
:smt039
Ultima modifica di Zero87 il 08/11/2013, 14:34, modificato 1 volta in totale.
Ex studente Unicam :heart:
Zero87
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 3007 di 12931

Re: How to... write a CV

Messaggioda onlyReferee » 08/11/2013, 14:22

Hi Zero87!
Zero87 ha scritto:[...]you'd put it in evidence in order to give some useful informations to forum users.[...]

Sorry, the word information has only singular form in English :P . If you want to use its plural form you have to write a piece of information. The same happens for example with furniture ("mobile" in Italian) or news ("notizia" in Italian). Differently there are other words such as hair and data that have no plural form and therefore you can use them only on their singular one.
Zero87 ha scritto:[...]
Laurea Triennale in ...
For example

Laurea Magistrale in ...
For example

Maturità

(Nota: in Inghilterra i conservatori non esistono, così tradotto letteralmente sarebbe "laurea in conservatorio di ...").

I think it is all correct what you wrote here but I remember I've seen also the version High school diploma for the correspondent Italian "diploma". You may also want to write your final mark (Italian correspondent "votazione finale").
It may be useful for you to add your titles that certify capabilities in other skills such as ECDL and car driving license.
Per aspera sic itur ad astra
onlyReferee
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Messaggio: 160 di 2046

Messaggioda Zero87 » 08/11/2013, 14:33

onlyReferee ha scritto:I think it is all correct what you wrote here but I remember I've seen also the version High school diploma for the correspondent Italian "diploma". You may also want to write your final mark (Italian correspondent "votazione finale").
It may be useful for you to add your titles that certify capabilities in other skills such as ECDL and car driving license.

I wrote High School Graduation in my English CV... :roll: ](*,)

Anyway thank you for your suggestions. :)
Zero87
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 3123 di 12931

Messaggioda onlyReferee » 08/11/2013, 15:41

Don't worry, friend: my suggested word is just a more oftenly used one in English language for the italian "diploma", the meaning of graduation is the same :D .
Per aspera sic itur ad astra
onlyReferee
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Messaggio: 161 di 2046

Messaggioda apatriarca » 05/03/2014, 11:47

In most English speaking countries a curriculum vitae is supposed to be much shorter than an European CV. One or two pages are usually enough if you don't have much experience. The résumé (another way to call the CV in such countries) is often targeted specifically to the particular company and job you are applying for. It should only contain the skills and experiences you consider relevant for the particular job. You should design it to help recruiters find what they are looking for and impress them. You should also write a good cover letter..

If you are unsure of your English, then you should probably ask for help to a native speaker. No one will ever congratulate to you for writing it yourself, but they will judge you for any error it will contain..
apatriarca
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio: 3319 di 10435

Messaggioda armellaSmith » 10/04/2015, 11:18

1- The 7 Seconds Rule: The average amount of time a reviewer spends on your resume is 7 seconds and that’s it! It’s partly because we have so many resumes to look at, and it’s partly because we’re lazy. Make sure the top half of your resume pops and everything is clear.

2- One Page Resume Or Bust. If you have a resume longer than one page, you just quadrupled your chances of having your resume crumpled and tossed in the bin. More is much less in this situation. Having a one page resume shows that you are concise, clear, and to the point. Again, we only spend roughly 7 seconds on your resume, so don’t bore us with irrelevant details. It’s all about what you’ve done lately, your education, and an interesting fact about you. Anything more and we’ll ask you during the interview. In order to do it, i suggest a very good source for affordable and quality resume:
armellaSmith
Starting Member
Starting Member

Messaggio: 3 di 6

Messaggioda Zero87 » 13/04/2015, 21:19

armellaSmith ha scritto:1- The 7 Seconds Rule: The average amount of time a reviewer spends on your resume is 7 seconds and that’s it! It’s partly because we have so many resumes to look at, and it’s partly because we’re lazy. Make sure the top half of your resume pops and everything is clear.

Interesting, I did'n know this rule. :-)
I suppose It's true!
Zero87
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 4380 di 12931

Messaggioda Luc@s » 23/09/2015, 17:37

Zero87 ha scritto:Hello forumists (I don't know if forumist is a correct word or I create it ad hoc...).

This is the first "how to" guide, if I don't found a job, I'll have a little spare time, so I'll make other guide (the next will be "how to write an english letter", but I need some help to do that).
If you like this threads and you are a mod/admin... you'd put it in evidence in order to give some useful information to forum users.

So, I go on.

In this thread I want to suggest some useful phrases about (study) qualification and I thank those who give me a hand to expand the content of this (and I thank who tells me the mistakes I made).

_______

Laurea Triennale in ...
For example

Laurea Magistrale in ...
For example

Maturità

Nobody uses (or even wants) the europass in all EU except Italy :smt023
----
Luca Francesca <[email protected]>
System Engineer Lead @ Salesforce

Info: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucafrancesca/
Luc@s

Messaggio: 1326 di 1955

Messaggioda Weierstress » 29/01/2018, 00:37

This topic has attracted more new users than all the Mathematical Analysis posts combined. Well played, Zero.
"When I wrote this, only God and I understood what I was doing. Now, God only knows."
Weierstress

Messaggio: 384 di 1084

Messaggioda MartaGueris » 24/04/2018, 14:06

Luc@s ha scritto:
Zero87 ha scritto:Hello forumists (I don't know if forumist is a correct word or I create it ad hoc...).

So, I go on.

_______

Laurea Triennale in ...
For example

Laurea Magistrale in ...
For example

Maturità

Nobody uses (or even wants) the europass in all EU except Italy :smt023

I agree! Never use Europass if you want someone to notice you!
MartaGueris

Messaggio: 2 di 72

Torna a The English Corner