Re: preparare esame first da autodidatta

Messaggioda SirDanielFortesque » 01/10/2017, 21:39

Hi,
I took and passed the B2 exam in april this year and I agree with everything has been said previously in this conversation, nevertheless I think it's fundamental to make this straight: succeed in a Cambridge exam is not about mastering grammar rules, achieve good pronunciation and knowing a great deal of terms and collocations. Well, yes, those issues are important and yet, what really matters is practice: it's imperative to have plenty of it through sample tests. When you'll be there, filling your answer sheet, either you are feeling like "it's the umpteenth time I'm doing this in my life" or you are bound to fail. Preparing for this test alone isn't ardous, especially if you have one year and one hour a day to spend in your preparation but I think some suggestions are in order. Many are the "pills of wisdom" that might come in handy, and is impossible to list them all:
-Remember to take a bottle of water and a box of paper handkerchiefs and a sandwich with you the day you'll be attending the reading, writing and listening part: it lasts approximately three ours (more, actually) and there is only a short break in the middle.
-Do not forget about training your writing skills, and make sure someone corrects your writing exercises.
-The same of the previous, but referring to speaking skills: it's a good idea to make yourself heard by someone else while practising, so (s)he can tell you what's wrong in your grammar, pronunciation,...
-Don't practice listening skills always in the best audio condition: the day of the test the audio is bound to be disturbed by tons of factors such as the testing room rumble, a chair moving slightly, the heavy breath of the student sitting back to you,...
-The topics of writing and speaking parts are pretty much always the same ones, that's why practice is important.
-Make sure you sound natural when telling about yourself in the brief presentation at the beginning of the speaking part and, well, don't forget manners in that occasion either (for instance say good day, ask whether you may sit,...).
-I used this book ( http://ngl.cengage.com/search/productOv ... allpartial ) ( and I think is a well-structured book with really good tips embedded, but for sure there are many others similar to this, you can find).
-Read in English. It's important.
Bye.
Conoscete la storia del Conte Giacomo Ceconi?
SirDanielFortesque
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Messaggio: 95 di 2184

Precedente

Torna a The English Corner