Re: Imparare l'inglese

Messaggioda Indrjo Dedej » 08/07/2019, 12:35

English is a very simple language. Let me to explain that crazy claim. :D An Italian speaking person, I noticed, has a lot of difficulties (leave out the pronounciation for now), because Italian is a far more complex language than English is. Why? We love giving ouselves "licenze letterarie", we never say something in a linear way, we are not able to say «subject verb something else», we adore to subvert structures. So, if you want to learn English, never think in Italian, think simple instead and give linearity to your thoughts: linear thoughts, linear and polished language. :)
Indrjo Dedej

Messaggio: 731 di 1649

Messaggioda SirDanielFortesque » 08/07/2019, 12:46

Testo nascosto, perché contrassegnato dall'autore come fuori tema. Fai click in quest'area per vederlo.
Conoscete la storia del Conte Giacomo Ceconi?
SirDanielFortesque
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Messaggio: 1077 di 2184

Messaggioda Bokonon » 19/07/2019, 14:24

Back in the mid '90s, i had no clue about english whatsoever: that was because i studied only german at school.
In those times, the internet had not even a proper search engine...go figure stuffs like YouTube and such. Hence my approach, in order to learn english from scratch, was pretty staightforward.
First i bought a digital english vocabulary, then i went looking for any site, book (like “Animal Farm”) or english forum whose content matched my interests. I spent so many hours translating each and every piece of english i was interested in, that i cannot count. I also set all my programs, games and operative system in english. That was worthwhile because, in about a year or so, i built a vocabulary big enough to grasp about 90% of what i was reading.
In the meanwhile, i befriended 3 american guys, who shared my same interests, who i've been in contact with via email for a very long time.
I picked them wisely because the goal was to force myself to write emails in a fluent english as possible, then i kindly asked them to correct my mistakes and/or rephrase the content in a better english.
It has been a long journey from knowing nothing to watch movies/videos in english on a daily basis.
Yet i've never been blessed with languages and i had not all the “tools” avalaible today so i guess it'll take you a shorter amount time to master english than me.
Bokonon
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 1449 di 5942

Messaggioda Bokonon » 19/07/2019, 15:56

gio73 ha scritto:.
Thanks to everyone is going to check my English.

Why don't we share our suggestions/experiences in english?
Hi Gabriella, i took my proficiency certificate exam in march: i scored pretty low, yet enough to pass it.
Although i took many english lessons, reading on a kindle has been of great help to me: whenever you fail to know the meaning of a word, you're just a click away from its definition in the built-in vocabulary. It works both ways: from english to italian and viceversa.
YouTube is also of a great help! Just watch what you like!
Last but not the least, look for and befriend some native speaker friends. You might want go and pay a visit to the art of problem solving, the big American cousin of matematicamente.

Note a parte:
a) gli italiani usano spropositamente "just"...
b) ...anche quando non è necessaria o addirittura scorretta. Per esempio, per noi ciò che risale a pochissimi mesi prima è un periodo assai vicino, per gli inglesi invece sono eoni, tantoche usano il passato remoto.
c) take non ha esattamente lo stesso significato in italiano. Nel particolare se scrivo "i took an exam" intendo dire ho partecipato ad un esame, senza dire se il risultato è stato positivo o negativo. Per questo motivo "i took my proficiency certificate" non ha un vero senso compiuto in inglese senza "exam".
In alternativa si può scrivere direttamente "i got my proficiency certificate"
Bokonon
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 1451 di 5942

Messaggioda gio73 » 19/07/2019, 19:28

@bokonon :smt023
As I said low score
gio73
Moderatore
Moderatore