TOEFL or IELTS test?

Messaggioda fireball » 29/12/2010, 14:36

In case I decide to do a PhD abroad - let's say, in an English-language country - it's compulsory for me to take one of these two English-language tests,
if possible with a good mark. I am wondering which of the two tests is more favourable. Do you have experience about these things?
May you give me some advice?

Thanks.
fireball
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 6384 di 6906

Messaggioda Giant_Rick » 29/12/2010, 14:46

Next year I'll go the University, anyway, after FCE my next exam will be TOEFL; I'll work on it later in the year, I plan to take this exam before the end of 2012. I don't know the difference between the two you mentioned, that was just my personal experience.
Good luck!
Giant_Rick
Average Member
Average Member

Messaggio: 99 di 664

Messaggioda wedge » 30/12/2010, 10:47

Regardless of difficulty and methodology of the test, I would take the one which is more accepted worldwide.
"Tre quarks per mister Murray!" (James Joyce, Finnegan's Wake)

Parco Sempione, verde e marrone, dentro la mia città.
wedge
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 3471 di 3831

Messaggioda Benny » 30/12/2010, 12:30

If I remember right, IELTS is managed by the University of Cambridge ESOL and widely accepted in Europe, while TOEFL results preferrable in the USA. The great majority of institutions provides a table of equivalence for their language requirements, so you should have a look over there.
Money, it's a crime. Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie
Money, so they say, is the root of all evil today
Benny

Messaggio: 1120 di 1486

Messaggioda Deckard » 30/12/2010, 12:56

I think TOEFL and IELTS are, more or less, equally accepted for a PHD application. An important difference is that TOEFL is valid for only 2 years while IELTS doesn't expired (i'm not so sure about this so check at the official test website). However some Universities don't look at the date you've taken the exam.
Moreover do not compare IELTS vs TOEFL (ibt I assume) but the grade required for both tests: for example, Stanford requires 100 as TOEFL ibt score, while many other Universities require 90. Maybe 90 as a TOEFL score is more accessible than 7 in the IELTS exam, while 100 is not. I don't know. In addition check if the University you want to apply requires a minimum grade for specific parts of the exam (often 25-26 for the speaking part of the TOEFL exam is required in the USA or in UK).

The great majority of institutions provides a table of equivalence for their language requirements, so you should have a look over there.

I agree.
http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/turing2012/

Hilbert space is a big place.
Deckard
Average Member
Average Member

Messaggio: 69 di 503

Messaggioda fireball » 30/12/2010, 13:01

wedge ha scritto:Regardless of difficulty and methodology of the test, I would take the one which is more accepted worldwide.

Of course, I agree with you. It seems that we have found the solution:
here is a table of comparison between IELTS and TOEFL,
taken from a Lituanian site, even if I think it to be not so up to date.

There are other sites (like this one) where I have read that TOEFL is good if you use to speak English with American accent,
whereas IELTS is good if you use to speak English with British accent.

Lastly, what do you think of this one?
fireball
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 6385 di 6906

Messaggioda wedge » 30/12/2010, 13:11

fireball ha scritto:There are other sites (like this one) where I have read that TOEFL is good if you use to speak English with American accent,
whereas IELTS is good if you use to speak English with British accent.

It makes sense, but imho it's not a decisive argument supporting one test versus the other.
Moreover, I have the feeling you are maybe approaching the English-test and application process in the wrong order. Let me explain: what I would do is listing the universities I'm interested in applying to, then looking at how many of those accept the IELTS and how many accept the TOEFL (institute by institute, and directly on the phd programme page, not a general table saying United States, UK, Canada... as the one you posted last), and finally decide which test to take.
"Tre quarks per mister Murray!" (James Joyce, Finnegan's Wake)

Parco Sempione, verde e marrone, dentro la mia città.
wedge
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 3472 di 3831

Re: TOEFL or IELTS test?

Messaggioda asabasa » 30/10/2014, 11:58

Hi! I'm looking for some free materials to prepare myself to the ielts test, somebody can help me?
asabasa
Average Member
Average Member

Messaggio: 245 di 514

Messaggioda andrejones » 04/01/2017, 13:09

It really depends on which country you intend to do your PhD, MBA or any other degree. TOEFL is mainly required in the USA. It used to be well accepted in Canada, but lately I've seen a preference towards IELTS. So, it's reasonable to say that TOEFL is more focused on American universities.
In my opinion, IELTS opens more doors. It's accepted in England, Canada, Australia, Ireland and so on. If you want to study in one of these countries, they will require IELTS (not TOEFL).
I'm not sure what your goals are, but in my case, I decided to take IELTS because, as I said, it opens more doors than TOEFL.
Hope it helped!
andrejones
Starting Member
Starting Member

Messaggio: 1 di 4

Messaggioda cooper » 05/01/2017, 11:53

andrejones ha scritto:Hope it helped!

it may be needed 3 years ago.....
possibly it will help future users who'll read this post :D
cooper
Cannot live without