Re: English for beginners

Messaggioda Zero87 » 30/01/2013, 18:36

marcosocio ha scritto:I've always wondered what the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit really is? Could you explain it for me? :)

I try to explain it (with non technical words and my awful english).

An operating system - OS for short - is a set of (complicated) istructions and I don't say more because, for me, it is difficult to explain even in Italian.
The difference of 64 bit is to connect to the Numerical Analysis and I don't know it perfectly. I can say that, in a 64 bit processor, the 64-bit OS can work with the full power (calculus power I mean) with more speed. I note the difference in the background work of the OS (like system processes) and in programs built for 64 bit architecture respect to the one for 32 bit.
So I have a 64 bit processor in which is istalled win 7 32 bit. For a month I had win 7 64 bit and it was very faster respect to the actual OS I have: boot time, office programs (word, excel, power point, matlab...), media editors, ecc...
I didn't note a big difference with games except for the video card that with the 64 bit drivers offers a better quality of image.
marcosocio ha scritto:Also, what do you think about Windows 8? I've never tried it but I think the new interface is revolutionary as well as confusing to users accustomed to old versions of Windows, isn't it?

I try windows 8 (customer review) in virtualbox and I note that - in appearance - is totally different from windows 7. But I can't express a word because my trials are poor.
Ex studente Unicam :heart:
Zero87
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 1148 di 12931

Messaggioda marcosocio » 30/01/2013, 19:17

Thank you! But is every processor (I mean new ones) ready for a 64 bit OS or not? And am I right if I say that you can install a 32 bit application in a 64 bit OS but not viceversa?
marcosocio
Average Member
Average Member

Messaggio: 130 di 662

Messaggioda Zero87 » 30/01/2013, 19:45

marcosocio ha scritto:Thank you! But is every processor (I mean new ones) ready for a 64 bit OS or not?

I suppose it's true. The processors not ready for 64 bit OS are the ones installed in netbook (not all) and tablets.
marcosocio ha scritto:And am I right if I say that you can install a 32 bit application in a 64 bit OS but not viceversa?

Yes you are. (Is the short answer true? :roll: In my opinion souds better "you're right".)

There are virtualization processes in 64 bit OS that can execute 32 bit programs (like the 32 bit OS that have compatibility with 16 bit programs). Obviously it is not true the viceversa.
In my pc I have windows seven 32 bit version: with this OS I can execute 16 bit and 32 bit programs. With windows 7 64 bit I could execute 64 bit programs and 32 bit programs: in my girlfriend's pc (win 7 64 bit), 32 bit programs runs faster respect to me and the two computers are very similar.

EDIT
My bad, I forget. I talk about MS's OS, not Linux, Mac os and others: my knowledge about others OS is very poor.
Zero87
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 1149 di 12931

Messaggioda marcosocio » 30/01/2013, 20:11

Zero87 ha scritto:Yes you are. (Is the short answer true? :roll: In my opinion souds better "you're right".)

Yes, it is! :D That is the "normal" short answer that we are taught at school, but answering saying "you're right" or just "yes" it's absolutely correct and even more informal and "natural": in two weeks' time I spent in London I hardly ever heard the "normal" one ;)

Anyway, I asked because I'm about to change OS (XP is definitely too old :-D ) and, after having tried to run Ubuntu without success, I'm now thinking of Windows 7. I don't take into account win 8 for the reasons I said before (even if I haven't tried it yet). My PC is a bit old (5 years), but the processor works still fine and I provided it with 4 GB of RAM so win 7 should run on it. I'll have to check if my AMD supports 64 bit architecture...
marcosocio
Average Member
Average Member

Messaggio: 131 di 662

Messaggioda Zero87 » 30/01/2013, 20:35

marcosocio ha scritto:Anyway, I asked because I'm about to change OS (XP is definitely too old :-D ) and, after having tried to run Ubuntu without success, I'm now thinking of Windows 7. I don't take into account win 8 for the reasons I said before (even if I haven't tried it yet). My PC is a bit old (5 years), but the processor works still fine and I provided it with 4 GB of RAM so win 7 should run on it. I'll have to check if my AMD supports 64 bit architecture...

xp sp3 is old, right, but it runs faster and for an old pc it's a good choose.

My PC is a bit old too (4 years and one half) and windows seven 32/64 bit runs without problems (except compatibility with some old programs). In the front of my notebook there is an adesive in which it's written "AMD turion X2 64" (64 is referred to the fact that the processor can execute 64 bit os).

I found vista sp1 on that, but after two year I change HD and vista refused to run in holy thanks ("grazia divina" is it right? In this moment I look like Totti's english). Actually I have windows seven professional 32 bit and it works good.
marcosocio ha scritto:4 GB of RAM so win 7 should run on it. I'll have to check if my AMD supports 64 bit architecture...

win 7 64 bit needs at least 2 GB of RAM and if you have less than 4 GB you should not note difference with 32 bit OS.
Check your video card: if you have less than 128 MB video card memory, you don't use aero effects (in vista "aero" is so and so, but in 7 aero is better).

Referring to your previous message (last week?): is Sunday Anelka's time? :fball:
Zero87
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 1150 di 12931

Messaggioda marcosocio » 30/01/2013, 20:44

Zero87 ha scritto:In the front of my notebook there is an adesive in which it's written "AMD turion X2 64" (64 is referred to the fact that the processor can execute 64 bit os).

Oh so easy! Mine is called AMD Atlhon 64 X2 4400+ so it must be the same! :-D

Zero87 ha scritto:I found vista sp1 on that, but after two year I change HD and vista refused to run in holy thanks ("grazia divina" is it right? In this moment I look like Totti's english).

Or Trapattoni's one :-D Honestly, I don't know how to say "grazia divina" in English sorry :?

[ :fball: ]I think yes and I hope he will be the good one! Something to say about last night? I'm speechless... :evil: [/ :fball: ]
Ultima modifica di marcosocio il 30/01/2013, 21:59, modificato 1 volta in totale.
marcosocio
Average Member
Average Member

Messaggio: 134 di 662

Messaggioda Zero87 » 30/01/2013, 20:50

marcosocio ha scritto:Oh so easy! Mine is called AMD Atlhon 64 X2 4400+ so it must be the same! :-D

I think so, but take a control.
marcosocio ha scritto:Or Trapattoni's one :-D Honestly, I don't know how to say "grazia divina" in English sorry :?

Never mind. When it wants it wants... :-D :-D
marcosocio ha scritto:[ :fball: ]Something to say about last night? I'm speechless... :evil: [/ :fball: ]

I'm speechless too... :|
Zero87
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 1152 di 12931

Messaggioda marcosocio » 30/01/2013, 22:01

Zero87 ha scritto:When it wants it wants... :-D :-D

Nice! :D

However, back to football, I think that's not the Juve of last year any more :(
marcosocio
Average Member
Average Member

Messaggio: 135 di 662

Messaggioda lollo60 » 30/01/2013, 22:15

I'm speechless about Juve, too, guys. What about having Alex back from Downunder and start from scratch again?? I felt so miserable yesterday...
lollo60

Messaggio: 44 di 90

Messaggioda Zero87 » 30/01/2013, 22:21

marcosocio ha scritto:However, back to football, I think that's not the Juve of last year any more :(

There is, also, the cup with big ears (the last year was only tournament and tim cup).
lollo60 ha scritto:I'm speechless about Juve, too, guys. What about having Alex back from Downunder and start from scratch again?? I felt so miserable yesterday...

What is "Downunder"? I knew Sidney Utd...
Zero87
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 1154 di 12931

PrecedenteProssimo

Torna a The English Corner