PET exam and books

Messaggioda giuliofis » 20/04/2013, 13:07

Hi! I'm studying English with an american teacher (born in America and working for Trinity College). I did only one lesson, and today I'm doing second.
I bought (the past of buy, "comprare", it's correct?) this book that my teacher recommended me, and we work in (we did only 1A, food, unit).
Immagine
I'm looking for italian book for PET exam (my exam is without speaking!) with correction of exercise. Do you have advice for me?
Thank you!
giuliofis

Re: PET exam and books

Messaggioda gio73 » 20/04/2013, 20:11

Welcome Giulio!
I was waiting for you!
Why do you want to use an Italian book?
Did you study English at high school?
I've got some books for middle school and there are also some exercises for KET (Key English Test) exam. The skills are: reading, listening, speaking and writing. Will you have to do a listening test?
Now I am listening English songs for improve listening skill. What's your favourite singer?
gio73
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio: 2812 di 12005

Messaggioda giuliofis » 20/04/2013, 20:59

Hi teacher Gio!
gio73 ha scritto:Why do you want to use an Italian book?

Because I'm studying in after lessons, after course, when the teacher won't be!
Italian isn't necessary, but corrections are very necessary.
Did you study English at high school?

Yes and no, I did and I didn't. :-D Once, when I went to teaching post (in italian "cattedra": it's correct?) for hear lesson, the secondary school teacher said: "TU SEI PAZZO!"...
Will you have to do a listening test?

If I undestand your question, I responde: I'll try with my teacher.
Now I am listening English songs for improve listening skill. What's your favourite singer?

I hear almost classical music (I love Bach, Scarlatti, Corelli... All of the Baroque!); but I like Led Zeppelin and Avantasia. But the music is too hard for me!

I haven't my secondary English test for PET: I have only First-B2 book...
giuliofis

Messaggioda Stellinelm » 20/04/2013, 22:27

Well, I just wanted to quickly say good evening ;)

Testo nascosto, perché contrassegnato dall'autore come fuori tema. Fai click in quest'area per vederlo.
p.s. : I hope we meet again
Non permettere mai a nessuno di dirti che non sai fare qualcosa.
Se hai un sogno tu lo devi proteggere.
Quando le persone non sanno fare qualcosa lo dicono a te che non la sai fare.
Se vuoi qualcosa, vai e inseguila. Punto.
Stellinelm

Messaggio: 761 di 1750

Messaggioda Luca » 28/04/2013, 18:17

What a pity that you'd like to study on an italian book! They're worse than the one's in the native language,trust me!
You'd better tack up your sleeves and study harder on the original one, written by Cambridge Esol Examinations, you can find it in any stationery shop or library.
I also advise you PET Gold (Jacky Newbrook & Judith Wilson) Pearson Longman which was the one I used to study with.

P.S.: remember
I did =had only one lesson, and today I'm having the second one. ;-)
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
-----------------------------------
Outside, in the newly fallen darkness, the world had been trasformed.
The sky had become a glistening tapestry of stars.
Luca

Messaggio: 146 di 1066

Messaggioda gio73 » 03/05/2013, 13:58

:D Welcome Luca in this section of forum,
do you study English at school? Do you follow also a private English course?
Have you been in UK or another country where people speak English?
LucaM ha scritto:I did =had only one lesson

In your opinion can I write "I have had* only one lesson"?

*is present perfect better than simple past in this sentece?
gio73
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio: 2890 di 12005

Messaggioda Luca » 03/05/2013, 21:35

gio73 ha scritto::D Welcome Luca in this section of forum,
do you study English at school? Do you follow also a private English course?
Have you been in UK or another country where people speak English?
LucaM ha scritto:I did =had only one lesson

In your opinion can I write "I have had* only one lesson"?

*is present perfect better than simple past in this sentece?

Well let's say I'm studying English very hard in the last two years; when I started the high school (last year) I was extremely unfriendly with the language because of the different type of course I wanted to take, called "veicolare" ; it's our school's challenge. In this project English is used as a “vehicle” to teach specific subjects or topics within a subject. It offers students the opportunity to learn using English in a “real” learning environment helping them improve their skills and fluency.
The subjects in English includes: English, religion, history, geography, sciences (biology this year), history of art and FCE practice lessons (IELTS next year). Some of them are not taught for the whole year.
All the teachers are English mother tongue and qualified to teach in the different levels of the school or a particular specialty subject.
I've been several times in the U.K. (Queen Margaret University and another one...) and lots of times in the U.S.A.; for the language, English is definitely better... not for the places though.

Regarding the sentence: I agree with you, in this case is certainly better to use the present perfect, even though some British people are very friendly in using either the past simple and the present perfect.
Following your comment, I have discovered that "according to me" is grammatically incorrect (but according to you, my friend, him... is correct!). I'd better use "in my opinion" or, in a funnier way, "according to my mind :D".
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
Luca

Messaggio: 153 di 1066

Messaggioda gio73 » 04/05/2013, 13:28

Thanks for your answer Luca.
Can I ask some explainatios?
Luca ha scritto:
Well let's say I'm studying English very hard in the last two years

I translate: Bene, diciamo che sto studiando inglese molto duramente da due anni
If you have written "Well let's say I studied English very hard in the last two years", I have to translate so:
Bene diciamo che ho studiato Inglese molto duramente negli ultimi due anni
In the first sentence I understand you are yet studying English, in the second one I undestand you have stopped studying.
If we change just the tense, it changes meaning, are you agree with me?
Luca ha scritto:when I started the high school (last year) I was extremely unfriendly with the language because of the different type of course I wanted to take, called "veicolare"

I don't understand...
"quando ho iniziato la scuola superiore (lo scorso anno) io ero molto poco pratico con il linguaggio (Do you mean speaking skill?) perchè ... io volevo naturalmente prendere ... del tipo differente..."
Luca ha scritto:Regarding the sentence: I agree with you, in this case is certainly better to use the present perfect, even though some British people are very friendly in using either the past simple and the present perfect.

Translation
Riguardo la frase: sono d'accordo con te, in questo caso è meglio usare il present perfect, anche se molti inglesi usano indifferentemente il past simple e il present perfect
gio73
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio: 2891 di 12005

Messaggioda Luca » 04/05/2013, 15:18

gio73 ha scritto:Well let's say I'm studying English very hard in the last two years
I translate: Bene, diciamo che sto studiando inglese molto duramente da due anni
are you agree with me?

Yes, this is how, in English, we use to express the duration form. In fact, now I'm still studying it.

gio73 ha scritto:when I started the high school (last year) I was extremely unfriendly with the language because of the different type of course I wanted to take, called "veicolare"
I don't understand...
"quando ho iniziato la scuola superiore (lo scorso anno) io ero molto poco pratico con il linguaggio (Do you mean speaking skill?) perchè ... io volevo naturalmente prendere ... del tipo differente..."

Here the words "unfriendly with the language" would be literally translated as "poco amichevole con la lingua" but you can surely notice by yourself that this is an English expression. English expressions (especially idioms) must be learnt by heart (here another expression :D ), because you can not rely on your ears (another one).
So the meaning is: ero molto impacciato or poco confidente con la lingua... (can we say "impacciato" in italian? :?: anyway... :-D ).
Then, because of is another expression, and it cannot be transated literally: it means due to.
So in the sentence because of the different type of course I wanted to take... the meaning is:
I was extremely unfriendly with the language, this is because or this fact is because, this fact is due to...

gio73 ha scritto:Regarding the sentence: I agree with you, in this case is certainly better to use the present perfect, even though some British people are very friendly in using either the past simple and the present perfect.
Translation
Riguardo la frase: sono d'accordo con te, in questo caso è meglio usare il present perfect, anche se molti inglesi usano indifferentemente il past simple e il present perfect

Ok! :smt023
You've only forgot the word "certainly", which is an intensifier (=rafforzativo). I imagine you know the translation. Now you also know the best translation for "to be friendly / unfriendly with".

Just a curiosity: are you a maths teacher trying to get ahead with English? You look very interested! Did you have English lessons in the past?

To all: if you want me to correct your English (well, the mistakes I'm able to correct), just let me know.
In the meanwhile, here another tip to improve and/or revise both your grammar and vocaboulary: when you learn a new word or expression (idiom, way to say, etc.), then think and write down three sentences using them. It's a method that gave proof to work pretty well :smt002 .
Luca

Messaggio: 158 di 1066

Messaggioda gio73 » 04/05/2013, 20:29

Luca ha scritto:Just a curiosity: are you a maths teacher trying to get ahead with English? You look very interested! Did you have English lessons in the past?

Yes, I'm a maths teacher and I'm trying to get a head with English. I'm trying to get a head with several things, like History. Last night I read on my old schoolbook the Rome's birth.
In the past, whe I was in high school I studied French. When I was student at University I had to read English text, so I have learnt a bit.
Now I am actually enapt, but I am ostinate.
Luca ha scritto:To all: if you want me to correct your English (well, the mistakes I'm able to correct), just let me know.

I am here! I couldn't ask for more.
gio73
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio: 2898 di 12005

Prossimo

Torna a The English Corner