Re: PET exam and books

Messaggioda Luca » 05/05/2013, 08:19

Thanks for telling us, that's interesting!
:lol:Get ahead (it is written with no spaces) is a phrasal verb and it means "make progress". In English there are more than 500 phrasal verbs. Only a mother tangue teacher could know all of them including their all meanings.
And, as for online translators: if you need to find just a word or expression, try my favourite dictionary and language forum: http://www.wordreference.com/

Have a nice day :-)
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
-----------------------------------
Outside, in the newly fallen darkness, the world had been trasformed.
The sky had become a glistening tapestry of stars.
Luca

Messaggio: 160 di 1066

Messaggioda gio73 » 05/05/2013, 08:37

Good mornig Luca
Luca ha scritto:Thanks for telling us, that's interesting!
:lol:Get ahead (it is written with no spaces) is a phrasal verb and it means "make progress".

Oh! I thought "get a head" means "to dedicate oneself to study" (metterci la testa)
gio73
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio: 2900 di 12005

Messaggioda giuliofis » 05/05/2013, 21:34

Hi! I want to buy these books and CD:
In the beginning, I want read Alien Alert in Seattle, for A2 level.
In a second moment (one month before my exam), I want read Journey to the Centre of the Earth (simplified by Jennifer Gascoigne), for preparation of PET exam.
In the web-site of books, you can find a audio and book sample.
In your opinion, is it a good idea?
giuliofis

Messaggioda gio73 » 06/05/2013, 07:18

giuliofis ha scritto:Hi! I want to buy these books and CD:
In the beginning, I want read Alien Alert in Seattle, for A2 level.
In a second moment (one month before my exam), I want read Journey to the Centre of the Earth (simplified by Jennifer Gascoigne), for preparation of PET exam.
In the web-site of books, you can find a audio and book sample.
In your opinion, is it a good idea?

I think it is better "I want to read" and "an audio".

Now, I'm going to open that web-site. See you later.
gio73
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio: 2909 di 12005

Messaggioda giuliofis » 06/05/2013, 07:51

gio73 ha scritto:I think it is better "I want to read" and "an audio".

You're right! They are "errori di distrazione". :-D

Now, I'm going to open that web-site. See you later.

Thank you teacher!
giuliofis

Messaggioda gio73 » 06/05/2013, 09:44

Sorry Giulio, I can't open book and audio sample, I don't know why.
Neverrheless I'm reading audio books me too, now "The hound of the Baskervilles" written by A.C. Doyle that I have received from my collegue: it is an old book in fact there is a tape including, not CD. Fortunately I'm old me too and I've got a tape player.
I think very useful listenig tape, CD, TV (did you try listen to English lessons on Rai scuola?)...
First you understand nothing, but listening after listening you start take some words and suddenly you can follow speech. How said our Luca we have to learn by heart*, in fact you have chose books about science fiction, your favourite kind (am I right?).

Edit: I made an awful mistake * "to learn by heart" means "to memorize", instead I meant "to feel happy while we are reading interesting things"
gio73
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio: 2913 di 12005

Messaggioda giuliofis » 06/05/2013, 13:09

gio73 ha scritto:I can't open book and audio sample, I don't know why.

Did you try with Firefox?

did you try listen to English lessons on Rai scuola?

I haven't TV in my universitary home. It's for choise. :-D

How said our Luca we have to learn by heart*, in fact you have chose books about science fiction, your favourite kind (am I right?).

I didn't understand, sorry... :oops:
giuliofis

Messaggioda gio73 » 06/05/2013, 13:13

giuliofis ha scritto:
How said our Luca we have to learn by heart*, in fact you have chose books about science fiction, your favourite kind (am I right?).

"Come diceva il nostro Luca noi dobbiamo imparare col cuore, infatti tu hai scelto dei libri di fantascienza, il tuo genere preferito (giusto?)
Purtroppo ho commesso un grave errore: l'espressione "imparare col cuore" in inglese equivale a "imparare a memoria"
gio73
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio: 2916 di 12005

Messaggioda giuliofis » 06/05/2013, 13:25

gio73 ha scritto:
giuliofis ha scritto:

"Come diceva il nostro Luca noi dobbiamo imparare col cuore, infatti tu hai scelto dei libri di fantascienza, il tuo genere preferito (giusto?)
Purtroppo ho commesso un grave errore: l'espressione "imparare col cuore" in inglese equivale a "imparare a memoria"

Aaah, ok! It's my favourite kind, you're right!
Try with Firefox to open books and audios!
giuliofis

Messaggioda marcosocio » 06/05/2013, 13:43

Hi everyone! I haven't been following this topic since the beginning due to school tasks (you know, May is the final rush). For my exams I've always used books by Cambridge University Press itself so I'd go for them. I don't know exactly what you mean by "Italian" book but, trust me, don't buy any book written by an Italian to study English! Generally speaking, to improve English my advice is always listen to the songs you like best and look for the lyrics (I gladly see gio73 has put it into practice :) ), watch films and read English websites. This way learning the language will become less stressing ;)
marcosocio
Average Member
Average Member

Messaggio: 264 di 662

PrecedenteProssimo

Torna a The English Corner