Grammar check

Messaggioda hamming_burst » 16/05/2013, 18:01

Hi,

I wrote my problem of language English in an old thread. I ask you to help me in learning this language. I'm studying reading, listening and writing now, but Grammar is problem. Can you check a few exercises and answer a few questions on (simple) grammar?

thanks a lot :)

PS: be patient and strict.
hamming_burst
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 3582 di 8058

Re: Grammar check

Messaggioda Luca » 16/05/2013, 19:06

Hi hamming_burst, I'm happy you're trying to go through the English language; your attempt to improve your grammar skills is not the first one I see on this site.
I can imagine your mathematical skilfulness is much higher that mine, so I'll leave your request to other people.

Just a question: are you planning to have a book where to study or just some practice and conversation with advanced people?
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
-----------------------------------
Outside, in the newly fallen darkness, the world had been trasformed.
The sky had become a glistening tapestry of stars.
Luca

Messaggio: 191 di 1066

Messaggioda hamming_burst » 16/05/2013, 19:57

Hi Luca,
thank you for answer.

Luca ha scritto:I can imagine your mathematical skilfulness is much higher that mine, so I'll leave your request to other people.

No, you haven't got it.

I don't propose a mathematical exercise in english, but english exercise/simple grammar exercise for now.
Example, from my exercise book:

Insert a or an if necessary, _ otherwise

If you go by _ train you can have quite a comfortable journey, but make sure yet get an express, not a train that stops at all the station.

It is compile and correct, but I have a question: why is it correct insert 'a' in case not a train and not by a train? What is the difference? uncountable noun?

Luca ha scritto:Just a question: are you planning to have a book where to study or just some practice and conversation with advanced people?

I use a few books for pre-intermediate/Intermediate student:
hamming_burst
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 3583 di 8058

Messaggioda marcosocio » 16/05/2013, 20:28

hamming_burst ha scritto:
Insert a or an if necessary, _ otherwise

If you go by _ train you can have quite a comfortable journey, but make sure yet get an express, not a train that stops at all the station.

It is compile and correct, but I have a question: why is it correct insert 'a' in case not a train and not by a train? What is the difference? uncountable noun?

Hi hamming_burst, if you wish, I'm glad to give you advice about your studies. In this case you don't put the "a" in "by train" because you mean the general means of transport, not a specific train. Also in Italian you say "vado in treno" and not "vado in un treno" :)
marcosocio
Average Member
Average Member

Messaggio: 265 di 662

Messaggioda Luca » 16/05/2013, 20:49

Sorry, I thought you were going to ask us for mathematical issues (it seems strange, but "ask" is followed by "for": ex.: "ask for permission". Sometimes it has an object: ask him for permission).

Well, let's examine the sentence you wrote.

If you go by train you can have quite a comfortable journey, but make sure yet get an express, not a train that stops at all the station.

First of all, you should recognize the green text: that are all the expressions regarding the ways you can move: by train, by car, by bus, on foot.... so it needn't put an article.
I would want to highlight some English constructions. For example, what I stressed in blue is something you must know. The word quite (there are others with the same rule, but now I don't remember) is always put before the adjective (and the noun) when expressing a considerable number of someone or something (quite a bit=a considerable length of time or amount; quite a few=a considerable number of; quite a sight=something impressive to see; quite a lot, ...etcetera). Instead, when it's used in a different way, it has different roles inside the sentence, for example: "be quite!" or "this restaurant is quite good or this is quite a good restaurant" or "I'm not quite sure of what you want".

The last two are the same. I guess you haven't understood the meaning. Read it again, it's easy. He has to get an express, not a train that stops...bla bla bla. Translate it in italian, it's the same.
Please if you have any other question just ask for clarification, I(we're)'m here twentyfour hours a day... 8-)
Ultima modifica di Luca il 16/05/2013, 21:11, modificato 1 volta in totale.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
-----------------------------------
Outside, in the newly fallen darkness, the world had been trasformed.
The sky had become a glistening tapestry of stars.
Luca

Messaggio: 192 di 1066

Messaggioda Pianoth » 16/05/2013, 21:09

Hi hamming_burst, I'm willing to$text()^1$ help you as well, I'll say what I can say. For now I can't say nothing to write home about$text()^2$, so I'll wait till your next doubts.

$text()^1$: In italian: Be willing to = Essere disposto a / Volere.
$text()^2$: It means something not as good as you expected / not very useful.
"Chi non ride mai, non è una persona seria." - Fryderyk Chopin.
Pianoth Eakòs Shaveck.
http://projecteuler.net/profile/Pianoth.png
Pianoth
Average Member
Average Member

Messaggio: 443 di 972

Messaggioda Camillo » 16/05/2013, 21:44

I never heard such expression :

" nothing to write home about "

very interesting :-D
Camillo
Camillo
Moderatore globale
Moderatore globale

Messaggio: 6741 di 10714

Messaggioda gio73 » 17/05/2013, 10:53

Hi Luca, can I translate any sentences?
Check my words, please.
Luca ha scritto:"be quite!"

Essere abbastanza or ne ho abbastanza!,

"it's quite" (= è abbastanza), the teacher told me on the exam's end.
Luca ha scritto: "this restaurant is quite good

Questo ristorante è abbastanza buono

Luca ha scritto:this is quite a good restaurant"

Questo è proprio un buon ristorante

Luca ha scritto:"I'm not quite sure of what you want".

Non sono completamente sicuro di quello che vuoi

Luca ha scritto:
If you go by train you can have quite a comfortable journey, but make sure yet get an express, not a train that stops at all the station.

Se vai in treno potrai senz'altro fare un viaggio confortevole, ma sii certo di prendere un espresso, non un treno che si ferma a tutte le stazioni.

Luca ha scritto: I(we're)'m here twentyfour hours a day... 8-)

Really? I'm not.
gio73
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio: 2978 di 12005

Messaggioda marcosocio » 17/05/2013, 13:13

I've never heard "be quite", but just " be quiet" :?:
marcosocio
Average Member
Average Member

Messaggio: 266 di 662

Messaggioda Pianoth » 17/05/2013, 14:45

"Be quite!" as far as I know doesn't mean anything, you can only translate it word for word like "stai/state abbastanza!" (which of course doesn't mean anything).
"Ne ho avuto abbastanza!" it's often translated like this: "I've had enough (of this)!".
"Quite!", instead, does mean something: it means "I agree!", "Exactly!".
You can see the use of quite and many compound forms here.
"Chi non ride mai, non è una persona seria." - Fryderyk Chopin.
Pianoth Eakòs Shaveck.
http://projecteuler.net/profile/Pianoth.png
Pianoth
Average Member
Average Member

Messaggio: 450 di 972

Prossimo

Torna a The English Corner