Re: Grammar check

Messaggioda gio73 » 17/05/2013, 15:13

Thank's Pianoth.
Can you translate this sentence "E' abbastanza", please?

When I sat for exam at end of middle school, the teacher, who teached French, told me "ça suffit" for stopping me.
gio73
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio: 2980 di 12005

Messaggioda gio73 » 17/05/2013, 15:19

Pianoth ha scritto:"Quite!", instead, does mean something: it means "I agree!", "Exactly!".

I don't understand, why do you use does?

I would write: "it means something: like "I agree!", "Exactly!".
gio73
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio: 2981 di 12005

Messaggioda marcosocio » 17/05/2013, 15:28

I'd say "(it's) enough" or similar.
Auxiliaries like "do/does" can be used in order to emphasize an idea, in this case "does" is stressed, as we would say "...invece vuol dire qualcosa.."
marcosocio
Average Member
Average Member

Messaggio: 267 di 662

Messaggioda Pianoth » 17/05/2013, 15:31

gio73 ha scritto:I don't understand, why do you use does?
I would write: "it means something: like "I agree!", "Exactly!".

Of course I could have said "Quite!", instead, means something [...], but well, in affermative sentences, do/does is used to emphasize a verb, for example:
"You didn't do your homework." = "Non hai fatto i compiti."
"That's not true! I did do it!" = "Non è vero! Li ho (veramente) fatti!" (this is an example with the past, but it works exactly the same way).

Whoops, I wrote basically what marcosocio said... Oh well, too late.

gio73 ha scritto:Can you translate this sentence "E' abbastanza", please?

It depends.
If you mean "È abbastanza [...]", for example "Egli è abbastanza bravo" you can translate "He/she/it's quite [...]" (the example is "He's quite good")
If you mean "Basta, è abbastanza" you can translate in many ways, for example:
"That's enough" or "I've had enough." or "I can't take it anymore!".
These three actually mean:
"È abbastanza (va bene così)", "È abbastanza (ne ho avuto abbastanza).", "È abbastanza (non ne posso più, basta)!".
"Chi non ride mai, non è una persona seria." - Fryderyk Chopin.
Pianoth Eakòs Shaveck.
http://projecteuler.net/profile/Pianoth.png
Pianoth
Average Member
Average Member

Messaggio: 451 di 972

Messaggioda Luca » 17/05/2013, 17:03

Sorry, I forgot to put the adjective. Basically the form I wanted to use is an imperative expression not used very much by formal individuals. Let's have, for example: "be quite relaxed!" which would be "stai un po' fermo, rilassato" in Italian...

this is quite a good restaurant"
Questo è proprio un buon ristorante

Be careful Gio. Those sentences have the same meaning. If I had wanted to say what you meant, I would have probably used such, such a or so, depending from the case.

gio73 ha scritto:Non sono completamente sicuro di quello che vuoi

This translation is correct.

Pianoth ha scritto:"Quite!", instead, does mean something: it means "I agree!", "Exactly!"

In almost ten years studying, I have never heard about the use of that word in this kind of way, curious; generally speaking, words have hundreds of nuances regarding meanings, but I don't think this one should be so relevant, considering the poor use it gave me proof it has, don't you think? Have you ever seen it before? Anyway, it's something I would consider for the future...

Instead, I like the idiom you wrote yesterday: my advice is not to rely on your eye but learn them by heart, so that you can put all of them in a nut shell without making mountains out of a molehill.

For students (or non-students), try to decode the last sentence I wrote :-D .
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
-----------------------------------
Outside, in the newly fallen darkness, the world had been trasformed.
The sky had become a glistening tapestry of stars.
Luca

Messaggio: 193 di 1066

Messaggioda gio73 » 17/05/2013, 18:43

Luca ha scritto:
Instead, I like the idiom you wrote yesterday: my advice is not to rely on your eye but learn them by heart, so that you can put all of them in a nut shell without making mountains out of a molehill.

For students (or non-students), try to decode the last sentence I wrote :-D .

Invece, mi piacciono le espressioni che avete scritto ieri: il mio consiglio è di non fidarvi degli occhi ma di impararle a memoria, così che voi possiate metterle tutte in un guscio di nocciola senza fare montagne di un nonnulla
or
Ad ogni modo, apprezzo lo stile e le espressioni che avete usato ieri: vi consiglio di imparale a memoria, in modo da crearvi di volta in volta una piccola riserva di frasi senza cercare di far tutto insieme.
gio73
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio: 2982 di 12005

Messaggioda Luca » 17/05/2013, 19:03

gio73 ha scritto:Invece, mi piacciono le espressioni che avete scritto ieri: il mio consiglio è di non fidarvi degli occhi ma di impararle a memoria, così che voi possiate metterle tutte in un guscio di nocciola senza fare montagne di un nonnulla
or
Ad ogni modo, apprezzo lo stile e le espressioni che avete usato ieri: vi consiglio di imparale a memoria, in modo da crearvi di volta in volta una piccola riserva di frasi senza cercare di far tutto insieme.

Ahahah! Oh my goodness, the first translation is obviously litteral, and so not fair.
For the second one:

-I would prefer the first translation you gave for "instead";
- "idiom" is singular, therefore keep it only one. The translation is more or less right;
-"you" is second person, but singular, correct yourself;
- you have created a verb that doesn't exist: my advice is...;
-you haven't translated: rely on your eye which is near to what you wrote up in the previous lines;
- the idioms are not well translated. You'd better look them up in a dictionary.
Anyway, I'll give you a clue: you wrote: metterle tutte in un guscio di nocciola; how can we express this in a more colloquial way?

In general, there are no bad mistakes, you just have to put your two translations together and refine something.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
Luca

Messaggio: 194 di 1066

Messaggioda gio73 » 17/05/2013, 20:25

I give up, what's the correct translation?
gio73
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio: 2984 di 12005

Messaggioda Luca » 17/05/2013, 20:35

Ok. I can imagine that idioms are very hard sometimes.

To put something in a nut shell means, as you said before, put something in a very small and closed place, so the idea was: to recap or summarize in very few words a concept, a story, a dialogue... whatever you want.

Make a mountain out of a molehill gives you the idea that someone is exaggerating, inflating, it looks as if a person saw a mountain instead of a simple molehill (which is the little mountain that moles=talpe build). In other words, see things too big.
Luca

Messaggio: 196 di 1066

Messaggioda hamming_burst » 20/05/2013, 17:32

These are very interesting answer, tank you for availability.

For my question: it's true, it's easy.
Other a little exercises for 'a':
It's time you had a holiday. You haven't had a day off for a month.

one day: it's equal?
I'll pay you a hundred a week

don't miss for or is it implicit?: I'll pay you a hundred for a week.
::::::::::

new questions for the definite article "the":

Do you know the time?

Is "time" not a abstract noun? Why insert "the" in this?

_ darkness doesn't worry _ cats; _ cats can see in _ dark

not insert "the" because:
dark/darkness: abstract nouns
Ann's habit of riding a motorcycles up and down the road early in the morning annoyed the neighbours and in the end the took her to _ court

_ family hotels are _ hotels which welcome _ parents and _ children

plural nouns and "the":
cats, hotels, parents, childern: no
neighbours: yes

Is it corrected in neighbours because is a particular group of people? why not in cats or parents? They aren't indefinite plurarl nouns, but definite...
I'm confused...
hamming_burst
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 3604 di 8058

PrecedenteProssimo

Torna a The English Corner