Re: Grammar check

Messaggioda gio73 » 23/05/2013, 10:44

hamming_burst ha scritto:
He switched on the torch, read the meter and wrote the reading down on the back an envelope

What is the correct translation?
Accese la torcia, lesse il contatore e scrisse la lettura orizzontale sul retro di una busta

I wouldn't write orizzontale
He said that he had had a book but that it hat been burnt in the fire in the Mr Smith's house.

I think hat is cappello, maybe did you want to write had or has?
I think had is better.

Lui disse di aver ricevuto un libro, ma disse anche che (esso, il libro) rimase bruciato nell'incendio della casa degli Smith

@Luca you can write some sentences and we will fill the gaps with the articles. If the articles needn't we will write nothing.
gio73
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio: 3008 di 12005

Messaggioda ascheriit » 23/05/2013, 14:03

gio73 ha scritto:
He switched on the torch, read the meter and wrote the reading down on the back an envelope

What is the correct translation?
Accese la torcia, lesse il contatore e scrisse la lettura orizzontale sul retro di una busta

I wouldn't write orizzontale

write down is a phrasal verb (like can't help or look forward), in italian should be "appuntare", so I would translate the sentence as "Accese la torcia, lesse il contatore e appunto' la lettura* sul retro di una busta"

*this is a literal translation, "quanto letto" is much better than "la lettura"
ascheriit
Starting Member
Starting Member

Messaggio: 1 di 40

Messaggioda Luca » 23/05/2013, 16:46

People interested can look at this short essay and try to complete with the words and exercise themselves.

Testo nascosto, fai click qui per vederlo
Complete this story by writing a, an, the or - if you think no article is needed. If you find it difficult, let me know, because it is not an easy level, but you can obviously do it.

I was travelling around Europe by ____ train one summer when I was about 18 years old and I arrived in ____ city (I can't remember ____ name) just as it was getting dark. I went looking for somewhere to stay such as ____ youth hostel, but the only one I found was full and they couldn't recommend anywhere else for ____ cheap accommodation.
As usual, I had ____ problem with ____ money: I didn't have enough for ____ hotel. I wandered round ____ city looking for ____ park to sleep in. It was very dark when I came to ____ pair of ____ imposing gates leading into what looked like ____ park.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
-----------------------------------
Outside, in the newly fallen darkness, the world had been trasformed.
The sky had become a glistening tapestry of stars.
Luca

Messaggio: 205 di 1066

Messaggioda gio73 » 23/05/2013, 19:56

@Luca, thanks
check this
I was travelling around Europe by ____ train one summer when I was about 18 years old and I arrived in _a_ city (I can't remember _the_ name) just as it was getting dark. I went looking for somewhere to stay such as _a_ youth hostel, but the only one I found was full and they couldn't recommend anywhere else for _a_ cheap accommodation.
As usual, I had _a_ problem with ____ money: I didn't have enough for _an_ hotel. I wandered round ____ city looking for _a_ park to sleep in. It was very dark when I came to _a_ pair of ____ imposing gates leading into what looked like _a_ park.

L'estate in cui avevo 18 anni viaggiavo per l'Europa in treno e arrivai in una città (non ricordo il nome) proprio all'imbrunire. Io andai a cercare un posto dove passare la notte, tipo un ostello per la gioventù, ma l'unico che trovai era pieno e loro non sapevano consigliarmi un posto altrettanto conveniente. Come al solito, io avevo un problema di soldi: non ne avevo abbastanza per un hotel. Mi domandai se in giro per la città ci fosse un parco dove dormire. Era davvero scuro quando arrivai a una coppia di imponenti cancellate che introducevano a qualcosa che aveva l'aspetto di un parco.

@ascheriit: welcome to the forum, why are you here? Do you like Maths?
gio73
Moderatore
Moderatore

Messaggio: 3011 di 12005

Messaggioda Luca » 23/05/2013, 20:23

Be careful Gio, n. 5,8(remember the rule with the "h"),9 are wrong...
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
-----------------------------------
Outside, in the newly fallen darkness, the world had been trasformed.
The sky had become a glistening tapestry of stars.
Luca

Messaggio: 207 di 1066

Messaggioda hamming_burst » 23/05/2013, 21:43

gio73 ha scritto:
He said that he had had a book but that it hat been burnt in the fire in the Mr Smith's house.

I think hat is cappello, maybe did you want to write had or has?
I think had is better.

Lui disse di aver ricevuto un libro, ma disse anche che (esso, il libro) rimase bruciato nell'incendio della casa degli Smith

Is "had". I was wrong. :)

@ascheriit: Thank you, very interesting.

@Luca:
I was travelling around Europe by - train one summer when I was about 18 years old and I arrived in a city (I can't remember the name) just as it was getting dark. I went looking for somewhere to stay such as the youth hostel, but the only one I found was full and they couldn't recommend anywhere else for a cheap accommodation.
As usual, I had a problem with the money: I didn't have enough for a hotel. I wandered round the city looking for a park to sleep in. It was very dark when I came to a pair of the imposing gates leading into what looked like the park.

hamming_burst
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 3635 di 8058

Messaggioda ascheriit » 24/05/2013, 02:48

gio73 ha scritto:@ascheriit: welcome to the forum, why are you here? Do you like Maths?

I was just googling around for maths forums while I found this one :D
(which implies I like maths!)
ascheriit
Starting Member
Starting Member

Messaggio: 2 di 40

Messaggioda hamming_burst » 24/05/2013, 17:48

new exercises with possessive adjective and articles.

"Hands up!" said the masked man, and we all put our hands up.

our: isn't necessary for me, beacause "our hands" is implicit by "we" than it's a personal pronoun.
is wrong my statement?
Ultima modifica di hamming_burst il 25/05/2013, 14:55, modificato 1 volta in totale.
hamming_burst
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 3649 di 8058

Messaggioda ascheriit » 25/05/2013, 02:47

I'd say that it is wrong and you should use "our", though I cannot justify it from a grammatical point of view
ascheriit
Starting Member
Starting Member

Messaggio: 11 di 40

Messaggioda hamming_burst » 25/05/2013, 14:54

ascheriit ha scritto:I'd say that it is wrong and you should use "our", though I cannot justify it from a grammatical point of view

you're right, I'm wrong to write :?
hamming_burst
Cannot live without
Cannot live without

Messaggio: 3651 di 8058

PrecedenteProssimo

Torna a The English Corner